Vegetables and fruits not only taste delicious, but they are also essential for a healthy and balanced diet. Since a single fruit or vegetable won’t provide you with the required nutrients, so you need to consume a variety of them every day.
Let’s take a quick look at some of the health benefits of regularly consuming vegetables and fruits.
- Cohort studies indicate that a higher intake of vegetables and fruits can reduce the risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
- Studies also suggest that increased consumption of tomatoes may reduce the occurrence of prostate cancer.
- Researchers have found that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help reduce the blood pressure of people with hypertension.
- Health studies show that an increased intake of fruits and veggies such as apples, pears, berries, soy, and cauliflower is associated with weight loss. However, starchier greens like potatoes and corns are linked with weight gain.
- Researchers link consumption of green leafy vegetables and whole fruit—especially blueberries, grapes, and apples with a lower risk of diabetes.
- Fruits and vegetables rich in fiber can calm symptoms of irritable bowel. Also, by triggering regular bowel movements, these foods can help relieve or prevent constipation.
- Vegetables that contain Sulforaphane, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, may help protect against some cancers.
- Fruits and vegetables are also excellent for your eye health as they may prevent two common eye diseases i.e. cataracts and macular degeneration.
- A high intake of fruits and vegetables can help you lower your cholesterol because of the low-fat content.
Tips to eat more fruits and vegetables and get the most out of them
- Place several washed whole fruits where you can see them.
- Store chopped colorful fruits in a glass bowl and place them in your refrigerator to tempt a sweet tooth.
- Limit fruit juices and try fruit or vegetables pureed into smoothies.
- Get different combinations of nutrients by putting together fruits of different colors.
- For your between-the-meals snack, replace candy bars or cookies with healthy edibles like carrot sticks, corns, dry fruits, and whole fruits.
- Never overcook your vegetables because the more you cook them, the more nutrients may be lost.
- Cut off only the inedible parts because a number of times the best nutrients are found in the skin or just below it.
- Add your favorite fruits and vegetables to your everyday recipes or as additions to your usual menus.
- Eat with the seasons because this is nature’s way of ensuring that our bodies get a healthy mix of nutrients.
- Cook tasty vegetable soups.
- Think up new combinations for fruit and vegetable salads or search for salad recipes online.
Kitchen Tools and Appliances
We have listed below some handy kitchen gadgets to help you prepare a healthy diet.
- Knife Sharpener
If you regularly use a knife for slicing your veggies, herbs, and fruits, then buying a knife sharpener makes sense. One of the knife sharpeners will let you effortlessly sharpen your knives and improve their longevity.
- Salad Spinner
A salad spinner makes washing and drying your favorite greens and fruits incredibly easy, so throwing together a quick salad is a breeze with this little tool.
- Food Processor
A food processor can be considered one’s best friend for preparing salads and healthy meals because it can assist you with a number of kitchen tasks such as chopping vegetables, shredding block cheese, making purees, slicing herbs, preparing salad dressings, and much more.
- Air Fryer
An air fryer allows you to enjoy your favorite “fried” dishes without the unnecessary grease. You can prep vegetables like sweet potato, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkin, and carrots into veggie fries using an air fryer.
If you are serious about making fruit smoothies or tomato sauce at home, it’s worth investing in a blender.
- Electric Steamer
Vegetable lovers find this cooking appliance very useful to quickly steam their veggies with the push of a button. So, if you have healthy eating goals and looking to veer away from frying, the electric steamer is for you.
- Vegetable Chopper
Everyone’s looking for ways to make work in the kitchen quicker and easier and a good vegetable chopper spares you a lot of time and effort. Also, most choppers come with a dicer for perfectly sliced vegetable and fruit pieces. So, it makes eating more veggie-filled salads easier without the hassle of manually chopping vegetables.
- Culinary Herb Scissors
Using fresh herbs to spice up a meal instead of opting for a sauce sounds great for healthy eating. You can use herb scissors to slice up fresh herbs in a flash and save time.
- Collapsible Salad Bowl
One can easily lose track of their healthy eating goals by grabbing a quick bite during a busy day. However, a collapsable salad container can save the day as you can dig in the salad instead of an unhealthy snack.